Thursday, December 17, 2009

Project For Awesome 2009 - National Autistic Society & Uncultured Project



Yes its that time of the year again. It is the Project For Awesome. This year I am still sticking to the same charity which is the National Autistic Society and also at the end of the video I mention the Uncultured Project which is awesome.

I have donated 20 pound to both The National Autistic Society and The Uncultured Project yesterday to show support for both causes.

It is a UK based Charity.
Why am I supporting the National Autistic Society?

The rceason I am supporting it is because when I was three years old, I was diagnosed with Autism.
I was sent to the Maudsley Hospital In London . I don’t remember this so I asked my parents who told me that we were sent there to be assessed because didn’t talk or take much noticed of what was going on. As you can see my language is really good now.
My parent joined to NAS and was given a lot of information and advice
I went to a special school called Griffin Manor which was a school for autistic kids .
When I was 9 I transferred to a main stream school. Being used to a very structured and caring community I found the social side in the main stream school very hard to cope with. My classmates were very kind and tried hard to involved me in their games but I wasn’t interested.
As I got older I realised that having friends is really important because it’s nice to share stories and have the same interests.
Facts about Autism
1. Around 2.3 million people are affected by autism. This includes family members and professionals involved in the care and support of people with autism.
2. 40% of all children with autism wait more than three years for a clear diagnosis.
3. Adults with autism say that finding a suitable job would improve their lives more than anything else. Only 15% of adults in England (and 11% in Wales) are in full-time paid employment.
4. 25% of children with an autism spectrum disorder had been excluded from school at least once.
5. People with autism often want to make friends but due to their disability find it difficult
6. Boys are four times more likely to develop autism than girls
7. Autism is a complex developmental disability involving a biological or organic defect in the functioning of the brain
8. Autism has nothing whatsoever to do with the way parents bring up their children
9. Autism is an invisible disability - most people with an autism spectrum disorder look just like anyone else who does not have this condition
10. Autism is a lifelong developmental disability with no cure. Children with autism grow up to be adults with autism
Why should people donate to the National Autistic Society?

The reason people should donate is because so then the NAS helps people with autism. As quoted on their website “We champion the rights and interests of all people with autism and aim to provide individuals with autism and their families with help, support and services that they can access, trust and rely upon and which can make a positive difference to their lives.”

National Autistic Society Youtube Channel - http://uk.youtube.com/user/NationalAutisticSoc

National Autistic Society Website - http://www.nas.org.uk/

Think Differently about Autism campigan video - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-tB4J00xkC4

Think Differently Website - http://www.think-differently.org.uk/

Uncultured Project Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/unculturedproject

Uncultured Website - http://www.uncultured.com

The Project For Awesome was started by John & Hank Green (Vlogbrothers)

Vlogbrothers Channel - http://www.youtube.com/vlogbrothers

OK I will be doing another post later today around 11pm GMT showing some of the causes I have found on Youtube and worth checking out.

Thats it for now

Barry

No comments: